Saturday, February 16, 2008

Celebrity Dresses

Thankfully, I don’t have a lot of friends that must have the latest celebrity dresses, but I do know some people who think this is what life is all about. I’m not like that and I never have been. I guess I have always been less concerned with my clothing than most. Don’t get me wrong, I like to wear great stuff, but I like what I like, and I don’t plan my wardrobe around what someone else is wearing. Though some of these clothes that celebrities show up in are great, I don’t think many realize they don’t really choose what they wear sometimes, at least not to large events.

Some do, and some do not. When you see celebrity dresses at an event like the Oscars, you can bet at least half of them are wearing something that was not what they really wanted to wear, and would never have paid for. Celebrities wearing designer dresses has been a long tradition, and though they look great, I realize it is nothing more than an advertisement. What kills me about celebrity dresses is that most people could never afford to buy those dresses so they buy knock offs, which does not put any money in that designers pocket. You would think the designers would have picked up on this by now.

I could never pay the asking price for many of these types of celebrity dresses, but I can’t say that I would if I had the money. Why would I spend that much on one outfit when a car would be a more sane choice? The prices on these outfits and dresses are out of control, and there is no reason on earth to buy something to wear that will be worn only once or twice. Why on earth would anyone do that? I can’t fathom it, but perhaps I am just not like everyone else.

There is something else that most don’t understand about celebrity dresses. Most of those gowns worn at big events are loners or gifts. Even the celebrity did not pay that wild amount of money for the dress. Many times it is a gift for advertising purposes. This is why you always hear people covering these events ask, “What are you wearing?” If the celebrity can’t tell anyone what they are wearing, they aren’t doing their job. I would think some free advertising in return for a great dress is great, but I can’t imagine even they want to spend that much on celebrity dresses.